1) From Nature News, death threats are being sent to Australian climate scientists, including our Stockholm Resilience Centre colleague Will Steffen. More information from Australia’s ABC news 1 & 2.
2) How well are researchers able to forecast popular uprisings? Some reflections from political scientist Jay Ulfelder.
3) Economists argue that the long-gone Habsburg Empire is still visible in Eastern European bureaucracies today on Vox.eu.
4) Novelist TC Boyle, recommends five books on people and nature. He recently wrote a good novel, When the Killings Done, on the control of invasive species in California.
5) Also from Nature News, Greg Asner and colleagues have developed a digital catalogue of the chemical and optical properties of some 4,700 plant species in different conditions. By using this information to analyze high resolution LIDAR images from the Carnegie Airborne Observatory, Asner hopes that they will be able to identify the species of individual trees.