1) A set of ‘cheat sheets’ for programming various things in R – data mining, multiple regression, time series analysis, etc.
2) From AlertNet Thailand needs long term strategy to deal with floods.
3) From Solutions magazine Mongolian herders practice adaptive co-management
4) Environmental studies professor David Orr leads an attempt to transform Oberlin, Ohio into a national leader in sustainability – in a way similar to transition town movement.
7) The Institute on the Environment (IonE) is searching for 4 world-class postdoctoral scientists to join the Global Landscapes Initiative (GLI), which is focused on understanding global-scale changes in land use, agriculture, food security, and the environment. For full info see: PostDoc Scientists.
- Stafford Beer on Ross Ashby
- Links: Melting glaciers, floods, and species responses to climate change
- short links: open data, candian census, and merchants of doubt
- Gilbert White: Floods are acts of God, but flood losses are largely acts of man
- Legacy Futures: how past concepts of the future constrain current thinking