1. Cosma Shalizi discusses recent paper in nature on networks and their controlability, and responses to it.
2. Tom Slee reviews network sociologist Ducan Watts – everything is obvious if you already know the answer.
3. Misha Glenny, author of McMafia, reviews Federico Varese’s new book Mafias on the Move: How Organised Crime Conquers New Territories in London Review of Books.
4. And not a review of a book, but a model. Chemist Ugo Bardi has written a book Limits to Growth revisited that reviews the 1973 Limits to Growth study, its critics, its misrepresentation, and its continued relevance.
- Ethan Zuckerman reviews Infotopia and discusess social decision-making
- Dennis Meadows awarded Japan Prize for work on Limits to Growth
- Links: writing, activism, First Nations, Arctic, immigration, and walking
- History of The Limits to Growth
- Links: ECloud, wikipedia, housing bubble, Vaclav Smil, CO2, and ice