The International Foundation for Science (IFS) is a non-governmental organisation with the mandate to contribute to the strengthening of capacity in developing countries. IFS awards research grants and provides capacity enhancing supporting services to young scientists, working on research projects relevant to the sustainable use and management of biological and water resources. Since 1972, IFS has provided close to 7,000 research grants in more than 100 countries. For more information, please visit the IFS website: www.ifs.se
Currently IFS has a secretariat of 20 staff located in Stockholm, Sweden, and a regional office in Kampala, Uganda. The secretariat is led by the Director who reports to the Board of Trustees. The Director has overall responsibility for implementing the strategic goals of the organisation, managing the secretariat and overseeing day-to-day operations.
IFS will complete its current Five Year Programme in 2010. An external evaluation of the organisation has been conducted recently. A visioning process shall now be initiated to define the future programme, taking into account the uniqueness of IFS viz. other organisations.
The current Director will retire in 2010 and IFS is searching for a new Director. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Implement the recommendations of the external evaluation as decided by the Board of Trustees
- Steer the visioning process leading to the new Medium Term Programme, in close dialogue with IFS stakeholders including partners and donors
- Mobilise resources worldwide to implement the programme
IFS is seeking candidates who:
- Have an advanced university degree in an academic field relevant to the IFS thematic mandate
- Are connected with the international scientific and development community, in particular with institutions in developing countries
- Have several years experience from senior positions in research and development
- Have leadership skills to lead IFS towards the future
- Have experience in fund-raising
- Possess full command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of French is an advantage
The position requires frequent international travel.
The appointment will be for three years with possibility for renewal.
IFS is registered as a Swedish NGO. The secretariat in Stockholm follows Swedish labour laws and regulations as well as salary and tax scales.
Your application should be sent in confidence, labelled “IFS Director 2010″ and reach IFS by 12 April 2010. Your application should include CV, names of three referees and expected level of salary, as well as a short description of why you are interested in the position and what you hope to achieve.
Applications are invited from citizens of any country.
Women are especially encouraged to apply.
Please send your application by email with attachments to NewDirector@ifs.se
More information on IFS programme, organisation and administration as well as terms and conditions for the position will be provided, upon request, by the outgoing Director, Dr. Michael Ståhl (firstname.lastname@example.org), Tel +46-(0)8 545 818 21 or +46-(0)70 508 18 21.
Please refer also to the IFS website: www.ifs.se