Andrew Revkin has a brief article Art of Mapping on the Run about mapping human caused environmental change in the Sept 9, NY Times.
Now, though, the accelerating and intensifying impact of human activities is visibly altering the planet, requiring ever more frequent redrawing not only of political boundaries, but of the shape of Earth’s features themselves.
For more on the Aral Sea disaster:
- Google Earth (note difference between map and satelite layers)
- World Lakes database info on Aral Sea.
- NASA images of change in the Aral Sea.
- UNEP Atlas of our changing environment.
- The Island of Forgotten Diseases on BLDGBLOG
- Micklin, Philip. The Aral Sea Disaster. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences. 2007. Volume 35, pp. 47–72.